We aren’t just about real estate in Victoria and Vancouver Island, sometimes we get some down-time, and want to do something unique for date night, hanging with our friends, or for family fun day.
The days are getting shorter and the weather is getting colder, and although our Vancouver Island winters are mild in comparison to our prairie and East coast neighbours, sometimes hiking, kayaking and beach-combing are less attractive at this time of year. If you’re looking for something to do in Victoria that’s an indoor activity, and you want something a little bit different, this list might be the inspiration you need.
- Axe Throwing – Have you tried this yet? It’s not just for lumberjacks anymore! Axe throwing is quickly becoming a popular activity across Canada with no previous experience or flannel required. Axe and Grind on Government Street in downtown Victoria offers each guest an instruction period and safety demonstration before your session, and ensures us that “once you hear the satisfying thud of an axe into wood, you’ll be hooked.”
- Escape Rooms – Live action escape rooms are best experienced with two or more people working together to gather clues, solve riddles and use strategy to complete objectives allowing the participants to “escape” from a room or rooms. Victoria currently has a few different escape rooms companies to choose from offering a variety of themes that change from time to time, inspiring repeat business (gotta catch ‘em all!). Most locations offer a range of difficulty levels allowing for younger players to get in on the fun too.
- Comedy Club – If it’s Friday or Saturday night and you’re looking for a few good laughs in Victoria (and your 19+), a popular spot to be is Heckler’s Bar and Grill on Gorge Road. Weekly rotating comedians and pub-style food and drinks make a for great alternative to the regular date night of dinner and a movie.
- IMAX – We are super fortunate to have this awesome movie-going technology in Victoria. The Victoria IMAX theatre is connected to the Royal BC Museum right downtown, and offers a fantastic variety of documentaries for all ages (many produced by National Geographic) as well as some mainstream Hollywood releases that have been specially formatted for viewing in the IMAX experience. IMAX is a perfect way to spend a rainy day in Victoria, and you can combine your ticket with a visit to the museum too if you have more time!
- Board Game Cafe – When we say board game cafe, do you picture a group of nerdy teenagers in the 80s holed up in someone’s basement somewhere with Cheetos and Mountain Dew paying Dungeons and Dragons? We can assure you that this is not the case! The Interactivity Board Game Cafe on Yates Street promises fun for the whole family. With over 800 games to try in-house (or purchase and play at home if you prefer), and some pretty tasty choices of milkshakes and snacks, a couple of hours at this cafe absolutely makes for a unique thing to do in town.
Bonus Activity! Your Local Rec Centre – Just for fun we’ve added in a bonus unique thing to do in Victoria! Did you know that the Greater Victoria area has over a dozen community rec centres servicing our local municipalities? From Sooke to Sidney you can drop-in for a dip in the pool, a round in the weight room or in some cases even ice-skating – all for not much more than the cost of a venti latte.
Did we miss any of your favourite unique things to do in Victoria? Where are you favourite best kept secrets? Come back again to see our next set of picks in Part 2.